17 April 2016

"Are your Filet Mignons as good as Cracker Barrels?"

Galveston Texas

G'ma and I spent four nights in the resort town of Galveston Texas. It was one of those spots that I have had in the back of my head for years, knowing that it was a highly regarded area for retiree's. Initially, I had  spot picked on the mainland but after further research, I found a great campground, right across the road from the Gulf of Mexico.
The island of Galveston is very much indeed like Traverse City. It is the town Texans go to to vacation and see lots of water. (Texas is a freakin' huge state and not a whole lotta lakes and stuff).  
We did not have any major sight seeing plans for this stop. We did get to go to a local church. Priest was very funny with his Dale Earnhardt Jr. accent. We did go to the movies (The Boss) and a great dinner, (Landry's).
The day before we left, we took the truck down to the ocean. Just like Daytona Beach, you can drive you vehicle right down to the water side. Even though the water temp was a lot lower than I would have liked it to be, I did venture out a few feet. I should have brought my suit, but just had my shorts on instead. Since I had to drive back to the campground, I didn't go too deep. But in my own little mind, I fulfilled a bucket list item and swam in the Gulf of Mexico.

The Church in Galveston. Very Nice Place.

The temperature back home when I went swimming in the Gulf!!! Nanny Nanny Boo Boo

Driving down the access road to the beach. Public. Free. How cool is that!?!?!

The Old Man and The Sea

Damn. That truck looks good anywhere.

One of our neighbors in Galveston. We kept waiting to see if the wind was going to knock it over!


San Antonio Texas

After Galveston, we headed for San Antonio. The only real planned stop was the Alamo. We already knew that the Alamo would not take a full day, so we dug out the AAA tour book and checked it out. There we found the Mission San Juan Capistrano, and the Tower of the Americas.
First on the route was the Mission. It seems there's a whole line of about five or so Missions dating back to the 1700's. (Did not know that until we checked out this Mission). We took a little self guided tour, got to talk to a Park Ranger for a bit, and actually learned a lot of history of the area.
Second on the route was the Alamo. If you don't already know, the Alamo is actually a very small 'attraction' and is in the middle of a city much like Lansing. It was very interesting, since we grew up watching movies about this place. (Think Greenfield Village, but with the original building, in it's original place). Worth every penny. (It was free).
Last on our itinerary was the Tower of the Americas. It was built in the mid 60's for the Worlds Fair held here. It's very much indeed like the Seattle Space needle. We made dinners reservations and really had a great time here. The restaurant is 750 feet up from ground level. It has a revolving floor and it takes about an hour to complete one revolution. It must be noted that this place is one of San Antonio's best restaurants. We kinda figured that out when we got the menus. But what the hell? You only live once. That was when I almost muttered the words to the waitress: 'Are your filets as good as Cracker Barrels?'. I kept that between G'ma and I, and we had a good chuckle over it. 
The next day was a 'work day' in the rig, (shopping, cleaning, washing clothes).

First stop of the day

I was glad the well was sealed so G'ma couldn't toss me in it!

Stations of the cross in the Mission

No caption needed. Neat little alcove for meditation.

Some of the old building at the Mission


The Alamo

A scale model of the way it was before they did the restoration

The Alamo

Tower of the Americas

Damn. Truck even looks good from 750 ft up!


Yeah. They built this city. They built this city around this church.

Great place to see the city from


North Llano River RV Park

The next couple of days were just for traveling across this great big state. But we were lucky enough to come across this beautiful park that had triple wide lots, BBQ grilles, and patios at each site. It was in a small town named Junction, and we enjoyed our first BBQ of the summer.

Little piece of Heaven. Right here.


The next update will be about our adventures to New Mexico. So far, so good!
 

2 comments:

  1. DAMN DAMN DAMMIT I hate that blog pics aren't like social media where you can reply directly under them. I have smartass comments for almost every single one of them! LIKE:
    No caption needed. I'm leaving one anyway.
    The VERY Old Man and the Sea
    Oh look! Your truck again.
    I'm a Church, I move for no one.
    This Church is very nice (shooting for some heaven points, JUST IN CASE...)
    OH MAN I COULD GO ON AND ON but it's really only fun when you can snicker back with your own smartass comment.

    Your other daughter took me to an open house and tried to talk me into moving in together.
    "You would have to live in the garage, Bek, for real."
    "That's fine, I will. It'll be GREAT!"

    That was the only time there was bloodshed, other then that, we're all fine. ;)

    Safe travels, give Mom a hug for me. Eh scratch the hug, she won't believe it's from me. High five Mom for me.

    Love you guys, DM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the great comment. Mom misses you guys too.
    Bump

    ReplyDelete